Deputy Head of Performance and Knowledge
Partnerships for Infrastructure (P4I) is an Australian Government initiative partnering with Southeast Asia to drive sustainable, inclusive, and resilient growth through quality infrastructure. P4I partners with Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Vietnam and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
P4I works with partners to strengthen infrastructure decision-making and practice across the transport, energy, utilities and telecommunications sectors. P4I’s focus is on the early stages of the infrastructure lifecycle, including planning and prioritisation, financing strategy, and procurement.
The 4 main services offered by P4I are linkages with Australian government agencies and other institutions, technical and policy advice, infrastructure project advice and knowledge-sharing and learning. As the foundation of quality infrastructure, P4I also integrates gender equality, disability, and social inclusion, and disaster risk reduction and climate change considerations into all activities.
Delivered through a single team, P4I is led by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in collaboration with EY, Adam Smith International, The Asia Foundation and Ninti One. P4I has a regional program office in Bangkok, with staff also located in Australia and each partner country.
The Deputy Head of Performance and Knowledge will support the Head of Performance and Knowledge (HPK), based in Jakarta, to lead an integrated knowledge, communications, and monitoring and evaluation team.
The position holder will:
- Provide direction on a day-to-day basis to the Performance and Knowledge team to ensure performance, knowledge and communication activities are successfully implemented.
- Provide strategic and operational support for the implementation of P4I's knowledge function and the integration of knowledge activities into the program.
- Provide strategic and operational direction for the implementation of knowledge activities, such as training, capability building programs, research initiatives, international partnerships, study tours, government delegations and other knowledge-based events, conferences, and forums.
- Identify and facilitate collaboration with suitable partners for the delivery of knowledge-based activities, including Australian education and research providers, NGO, private sector, and government partners (in collaboration with the Government-to-Government Adviser).
- Support the HPK to ensure the Communications and Public Affairs Strategy is effectively implemented by the communications team and properly integrated within P4I's overall regional engagement and public diplomacy priorities.
- Support the HPK to lead P4I's performance function by contributing to:
- the management of P4I's Performance Management Framework in line with DFAT's Monitoring and Evaluation Standards
- development and delivery of an evaluation workplan
- preparation of program reports, including work plans and program performance reports, and coordinating input into those reports from across the team
- performance monitoring of Australian Government partners to generate information that is useful to P4I, as well as to these partners.
- Support the HPK to identify opportunities for P4I to strategically position itself as a knowledge player within the region and link P4I's knowledge work to policymakers in support of program objectives.
- Participate in regular meetings with the Program Executive and other forums, contribute to strategic decision-making, respond to opportunities, and proactively address issues.
- Work closely with the Program Executive, the Deputy Director, Deputy Head of Technical Advisory, and Deputy Head of Country Engagement to ensure coordination and alignment between portfolios and resources.
- Contribute to the integration of gender equality and social inclusion, and of disaster risk reduction and climate change considerations into P4I's service delivery.
- Contribute to ad hoc briefings requested by the HPK, the Program Executive, Australian Posts in the region, or DFAT in Canberra.
- Contribute to the well-coordinated planning and delivery across all P4I delivery partner organisations and with DFAT.
- Qualifications in a relevant discipline e.g. public policy, economics, public finance, international development. A post-graduate degree would be preferred.
- At least 8 years' experience managing knowledge-based and performance-related activities, including liaison with government counterparts, donor organisations, and technical specialists, ideally in Southeast Asia.
- Strong experience developing and implementing a range of knowledge, events and communications activities.
- Experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation frameworks to produce an evidence base for results reporting in complex multi-sectoral programs or facilities.
- Excellent analytical, presentation, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent liaison and coordination skills with demonstrated ability to (a) operate effectively in a complex, multi-stakeholder organisation and (b) work effectively with a wide range of external stakeholders, including senior government officials.
- Ability to use initiative with limited oversight.
- Experience supervising a team of professional staff.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are requested to submit a CV and a short covering note in an email with subject “[Candidate Name] – Deputy Head of Performance and Knowledge” to email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59pm (Bangkok time) on Sunday 23 July 2023.
Due to the high volume of applications for P4I positions, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.